Today The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) announced the 2015 class of the Disney Accelerator program powered by Techstars. The second Disney Accelerator program features ten startup companies that will participate in a three-month mentorship and investment program beginning today and concluding with a Demo Day on October 6, 2015.
The companies selected for the 2015 Disney Accelerator program include:
- Decisive: Decisive is a Software as a Service (SaaS) platform that uses real time data to enable advertisers to optimize mobile ad creative and targeting based on user engagement.
- EMOTIV: EMOTIV is a bioinformatics company that uses electroencephalography (EEG) to track mental performance, monitor emotions, and control virtual and physical objects with thoughts.
- FEM Inc.: FEM Inc. has developed a personalized video engagement platform based on neuroscience and psychology that maps the emotional dimensions of how and why content resonates.
- HYP3R: HYP3R enables businesses and brands to identify influential customers at their locations and engage them in real time, when it matters most.
- imperson: imperson provides an artificial intelligence platform enabling fans to have conversations with their favorite movie and TV characters.
- Littlstar: Littlstar aggregates industry leading virtual reality content with its device agnostic discovery and distribution platform.
- MakieLab: MakieLab lets kids bring toys to life by building their own customizable 3D-printed toys through creative games and apps.
- Open Bionics: Open Bionics is a robotics company creating affordable 3D-printed bionic hands for amputees, researchers and makers.
- Pundit: Pundit lets creators host audio Ask Me Anything (AMA’s) with their Twitter network, transforming the talk radio experience for the social media age.
- StatMuse: StatMuse is developing an artificial intelligence platform to help sports fans explore data using simple, natural language.
“Last year’s Disney Accelerator exceeded our expectations on many fronts,” said Kevin Mayer, Chief Strategy Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “We are excited to roll up our sleeves again this year and help these cutting-edge startups achieve their goals.”
Participants receive up to $120,000 in investment capital to develop their ideas, along with mentor support from top Disney executives, including Chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger, and leaders from Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, ESPN and Walt Disney Imagineering, among others. Mentors will also include other entertainment industry leaders, venture capitalists, and Techstars’ extensive network of entrepreneurs, investors and executives.
The startups from the 2014 Disney Accelerator have reached many milestones since completing the program. All of the startups have either raised capital, been acquired or become profitable since the end of the Accelerator and many of the participating companies have launched products and programs in conjunction with The Walt Disney Company:
- ChoreMonster launched a Disney•Pixar’s Inside Out takeover of their app that unlocks characters from the film with completed chores.
- Naritiv’s Snapchat campaign for ABC Family’s Pretty Little Liars has amassed more than 1.3 million followers on Snapchat.
- Robotics company Sphero is currently building an official toy based on the BB-8 droid used in the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens that will be available later this year.
- App creator TYFFON released the Show Your Disney Side app for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which was downloaded more than 1.25 million times in the first two weeks.
For more information on both the 2014 and 2015 Accelerator programs, please visit: http://DisneyAccelerator.com